Tuesday 11 October 2011

Skills, stuff and things...

I'm not overly familiar with Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator, however having had a project last year that I forced myself to use both programmes for, I am getting to grips with it more and more and i'm determined to make the most of it.
My main goal for the duration of my course is to become comfortable and fluent with both programmes as this is what I would like to use in most of my work.

My love of digital imagery comes from a number of illustrators whom I think take the medium to a completely different level.

Dave Mckean uses mostly photoshop and it is very apparent that he has used digital manipulation in his work.

Although his work is easily recognizable, he employs different techniques depending on his target audience.
For example his collaborative work with the author Neil Gaiman is generally aimed towards children, he has done a number of titles including : 'The day i swapped my dad for two goldfish', 'The wolves in the walls' and 'Crazy hair'.
He has however, also produced work for mature readers, graphic novels, teen fiction and even cookery books.
Here are some examples of his work.

'The day I swapped my dad for two goldfish'


Original drawing for Front cover before being altered digitally.
This image was taken from 'Squink' By Dave Mckean
Blatent use of Photography within this image.
Taken from 'The day I swapped my dad for two goldfish'

A more mature feel to his illustrations, with lots of text and more defined lines and a mix of techniques assorted on the page.
This image was taken from the graphic novel 'Pictures that tick' by Dave Mckean

No comments:

Post a Comment